I started this piece yesterday. There’s still quite a bit to do, but I was having so much fun with it that I thought I’d share. One of the nice things about it is that I’m getting in some much needed practice creating simple vectors in Inkscape.*
Some next steps for this include adding embellishments to the groom’s suit (gorgeous though it may be). I’m thinking colorful embroidery on the lapel and possibly down the sleeve. I may give him a skeletal hand and a sombrero. For the bride, I need to colorize her dress, veil, and bouquet ribbons, and her flowery crown needs some greenery. Her hair needs to be darkened, and both bride and groom need to have their skulls and any exposed skin “warmed up” (more brown, less grey).
I was so fortunate to find a beautiful wedding portrait over at The Graphics Fairy. (You should go there. All the images are free, and you probably won’t get sued.) I lucked out on the background, too. It was important to incorporate marigolds into the piece somehow. At first I created my own original background. It’s nice, but I think it’s better suited to a different piece. I started poking around in wikimedia for some inspiration and happened upon African Marigold by William Morris. For anyone interested, the work is in the public domain and freely available for use with no restrictions. You can find it here.
*(Disclaimer: I don’t make all of my own elements. Sometimes it’s not worth it to re-invent the wheel when a good brush pack will do the trick as well or better.)